Friday, August 8, 2014

Where I've been and Where I'm Going






It's been a little too long since I've been able to post...

But I swear there's good reason...

Here's where I've been:

First, I'm happy to announce that the first draft of my manuscript is complete. If you didn't know (and many of you wouldn't because I think I've only really talked about it on Facebook) I've spent the last two years working on a sci-fi Dystopian fantasy novel. No, it's not like The Hunger Games. And no, it's not at all like Divergent. I'll keep you all posted about when I'll be releasing more info about it, but that's not really the point...

The point is that I'm finished. And the more important point is that, for a long time, I never thought it would be. What's even more amusing is, looking back, it took me about 22 months to write a little more than 60 odd pages (maybe 15,000 words at the time?) and it only took me the last 2 months to complete the damn thing (Rounding out at 46,000 words / 189 pages).

Some of the completion of the work has much to do with being a teacher and having the summer off - but I think more of it has to do with my ability to say no.

No, I can't go on this vacation with you guys.
No, I can't go to the movies tonight.
No, I can't go out drinking.
No, I can't visit you on the weekend.

... because I have to work on my novel.

Even saying that... ugh... saying "because I have to work on my novel," makes me nauseous.

What a F-ing dork.

Make no bones about it, guys - I feel like a loser whenever I have to justify my time spent away from friends and family and doing things I like doing...

But for me, it's worth it.

What's even more amusing is that I still have, probably, at the least, another year or two of working on the damn thing. I have to write query letters. I have to find publishing agents. I have to decided if it would work better as a comic (something I'm super excited about) and if so decide how and where to find the right artists to work on the project.

So that's one reason why I haven't had a chance to post here.

Another reason is that I now proudly write for these guys: Heavy Rep Gear under the name Honourable Pursuit.

When you write for free but still have to meet deadlines, it gets a bit crazy.

#1 - Spend several months finishing a novel I care deeply about while polishing my craft as an aspiring writer. Check.

#2 - Start blogging on my own and content providing for other media outlets. Check.

#3....

Right, so I've been doing something else, too...

According to RPS , at the 165lb weight class, I would have a state record back squat for the amateur division. Not bad for having a full time job, a coaching job, and a part time job. What's even more enjoyable is relishing in the fact that I'm not a power lifter (which means my bench or deadlift wouldn't be that great... but who cares?), I'm a weightlifter.

That being said, my back squat, at about 163lbs, is at 405lbs. And if I cut to 148 (which I will probably do because a month before the RPS meet I have to do a weightlifting meet at 152), then I will probably set a state record total if I diet right and maintain my strength.

Oh, and I finally PR'd my snatch...

So, *cough* #3 - Make huge lift PRs...

and now #4 - Break a State Record...

So I guess I've been busy...

But understand this - none of this happened from saying "Yes".

And most of it happened from learning when to say "No."

My dad and his buddies have this inside joke where they often look at each other and say "You think this is easy?" in this silly Robert DeNiroesq face, and for a while, I just thought all it was was a joke...

But coming from a family that was only not on welfare because of simple pride, and watching my dad work a blue collar job 60-70 hours a week growing up, I now finally truly understand.

No, I do not think it's easy. And yes, I get it.

Because now I know where I'm going - and I've never been more excited.


No comments:

Post a Comment