Saturday, July 26, 2014

Why Weightlifting Is Like Writing (And Vice Versa)



Why Weightlifting Is Like Writing (And Vice Versa)




When I think about weightlifting, I think about hitting positions. I think about all the parts of the pull. I think about the catch. I think about creating space off of the shoulder. I think about pulling under. I think about hip height. I think about knee position.

At the same time (and what I don't think people realize) is that writing, too, is very much so about position. I could get all middle school on you and talk about an introduction, and body, and a conclusion. Or, I could kick things up a notch, maybe to your 9th grade year (or a little before or after depending on school district) and start writing "Where is your thesis?!" in red ink all over your paper...

But when I think about writing, for me anyway, it makes more sense to think about hitting positions, just like weightlifting.

And I'm talking about all of the positions.

I'm talking about line spacing. I'm talking about how to begin a sentence. I'm talking about how to end a sentence. I'm talking about when to use rules. And I'm talking about when to break them.

Even then, in that passage above, it's a decision - an active choice (even that dash was purposefully used) to be repetitive.

Is there such a thing as too much of something? Of course there is - because there very much so is such a thing as too much of something in weightlifting.

And the beauty about the two of these mammoth beasts (that's a metaphor for both weightlifting and writing. *fist pump*) is that there's no right way to do it; but there are plenty of wrong ways.

Because we, all of us, are different in the way we move in our environment (I just started a sentence with because... BECAUSE I CAN, YO!).

Some of us have longer femurs. Some of us have a bit of a pelvic tilt. Our wingspans are different. Our shoulders more developed. So we all make due and make and brake rules.

Because that's what it takes for perfection.
Because that's how we make magic happen.

The same thing goes with writing. It's about drafting, over and over again, until you go blind or your fingers fall off or, *gasp*, both.

Learn how to master a comma, and you will find power in places you didn't know existed; master a semicolon, and become a god (Didn't capitalize the G because I'm a bit of an agnostic).

Learn how to use leg drive in a jerk, and, again, you will find power in places you didn't know existed; master ankle mobility and, again, become a God. (Get it!? Do you see what I did?)

Okay... a demigod; and, technically, because Achilles' weakness was in his, you know, Achilles, even HE had work do to... *sigh* Lay off... this isn't easy.

So think about positions when you write - and work to hit them; make them move; make them dance.

Because everything, indeed, is everything.

If your writing doesn't look like this:


You're doing it wrong. 

Be well, 

The Poet and The Platform. 

No comments:

Post a Comment