Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Don't Fake the Funk




Don't Fake the Funk





Sorry for the long break, folks. I had quite the weekend. Fourth of July, A wedding, and housework consumed me - but now we can get back to our regularly scheduled programming...

I'm kidding. I don't have any programming. I just have to split snatch a heavy single today. NBD. 

For those of you who don't know what a split snatch is - it looks like this:



Oh my GOSH - this is a video from CROSSFIT!? - Yes. Yes it is. And Josh Everett is a beast. So there. 

Note: if you're unsure of what a traditional snatch is, it looks like this:





I split snatch because my snatch is no where near as good. 

There are a few reasons for this.  

1. My pull is still a bit flawed. Where I receive the barbell, at the top of the pull, it tends to hang out in front a bit at times, forcing me to drop the barbell forward as I descend into the squat. Using a split snatch saves me from having to deal with this error. It's a quick fix but not a solution to the problem. 

2. I have crap hip and ankle mobility for several reasons all leading back to the number one culprit - distance running (poorly and inefficiently and under broken programming). 

Today I have to test my split. My previous split snatch PR was 198#, and I almost his 203# at my meet a few months ago. If I can split snatch anywhere from 215# to #225, I will have a nice chance at qualifying for the American Open. It will also be cool because I'm almost positive it will make me one of the best split snatchers in the country and I may be the only one split snatching at the AO. 

There's an important reason for this - and It's why I'm making this post to begin with;

I am split snatching because I am NOT good enough to traditionally snatch. Most people don't split because traditional snatching is more efficient and, in the long run, they'll be able to snatch bigger numbers snatching traditionally. I am split snatching because my form and my mobility are broken. 

Again - I'm NOT GOOD enough. 

And that's why I think this post is important. Because in weightlifting - or any sport of measure - it's really easy to figure out if you stink. The weight moves or it doesn't; and then you have to reflect.  

Every single day when you enter the gym you can expect to be forced to do the following: 

1 - Deal with a VERY frustrating effort load that makes you question why you're there in the first place.

2 - Become a technician. You can't just show up and punch the clock and start moving things. You need to be thoughtful. You need to become an artist. You can't fake the funk. Posers will be sniffed out.  

My goal for today is to PR my split snatch. And I'm going to do what I have to to qualify for the AO. But, at the end of the day, I also understand that if I want to be the best I can be, I need to fix those broken parts. I need to get more mobile. I need to get more technical. I need to get better. 

In anything you do in life - don't be the guy or girl that tries to fake the funk. Don't fake the grind. Don't make up excuses. Because people can smell it; or, at least, cool people can smell it.

... if you want to hang out with people who suck - fake the funk. They probably don't know any better and, by default, you're probably the coolest person in your circle of friends anyway - but remember, to other cool people, you stink... and you are only cool in your circle by default. 

It's about progress, people. In anything. 

And you're either bout it - or you're not. 

Best, 
The Poet and The Platform

Listen to this song and then go get better at something. You're welcome (ignore the weird 13 second intro). 






No comments:

Post a Comment